Community Dimension of Public Health Practice (Module 1)
This self-paced, online course is Part 1 of 2 on Community Dimension of Public Health Practice. Community partnerships are beneficial to achieving broad public health goals, including the development, implementation, evaluation and promotion of population-based health programs. It is important to develop relationships with partners and stakeholders for a given public health problem and understand the principles of good leadership to make these partnerships successful.
Public health professionals including public health nurses.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify stakeholders for a public health problem.
- Recognize characteristics of a good leader.
- Identify strategies to develop and maintain community partnerships.
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals
- 5A3. Identifies stakeholders.
- 5A4. Collaborates with community partners to promote the health of the population.
Quad Council of Public Health Nursing Organizations Core Competencies for Public Health Nurses
- 5.3. Identifies community partners for PHN practice with individuals, families and groups.
- 5.4. Collaborates with community partners to promote the health of individuals and families within the population.
- 5.5 Partners effectively with key stakeholders and groups in care delivery to communities/populations.
Originally launched June 2012
Estimated Time to Complete
1 hour (complete in one sitting)
Free and open to the public.
A modern web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox is required to view the pages. The Flash player plug-in is required.
The planners and course authors have no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in this activity. No commercial support has been accepted for this activity.
Employed by or in New York State?
If you are employed by NYS or a local health department in NYS, we recommend that you enroll for this course through the NYS Department of Health Learning Management System (DOH LMS).