Health Literacy & Public Health:
Strategies for Addressing Low Health Literacy
- Provides strategies for considering literacy when creating public health messages for the general public.
- Provides strategies for considering literacy in direct public health services to the public.
This training, second in a series, contains two sections and provides practical techniques for addressing literacy issues in spoken and written communications. Be sure to sure to complete Health Literacy & Public Health: Introduction as a good primer.
After completing the course, the learner will be able to:
- List seven barriers to good communication in public health.
- Provide an example for each barrier.
- List seven techniques to improve health communication.
- Define plain language.
- Describe three communication strategies you can apply in your daily work.
The planners and course authors have no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in this activity. No commercial support has been accepted for this activity.
Employed by or in New York State?
If you are employed by NYS or a local health department in NYS, we recommend that you enroll for this course through the NYS Department of Health Learning Management System (DOH LMS).